Little Nothings

Pieces of a discrepant diary

Look at my eyes, not at my ...

I know what it might seem from a title like that, but I make a point of always looking at the eyes. Ok, sometimes the nose.

It wasn't until Almond Blossom came along, my first true love, a woman with a man's name (but definitely a woman) that I noticed how some people only ever look at your nose. It has been said (gingerly by some) that my nose is distinctive but it probably isn't quite fascinating enough to stare at for long periods. Is it a confidence thing then?

If it had not been for Blossom I might never have realised. One day while thinking of her and how she only ever looked at my nose, I thought, "I'll try this".

I am one for trying things you see, its curiosity. Everything from peanut butter and garlic sandwiches, to shaving my left leg during an experimental phase (?!?), to sex while suspended from the upstairs bannister by a climbing rope. I mean its not until you try things that you find out just how silly or impractical they can be.

Anyhow, back on topic, I thought, "I'll try looking at someone's nose".

So choosing a friend at random (male, avoiding any feminist confrontations) I tried to focus on his nose, and found the strangest thing ... that I was already looking at it!!  What was new was having to force my unwilling eyes upward.

Suddenly the drugs wore off and the horror dawned on me that that this was the first time I had ever looked someone in the eye. I had been going through life looking at people's noses without realising it.

Naturally I have been practising lots since then, and have realised that there are times when it is wise and respectful to look someone directly in the eye, and times when it's really better to look at the frying pan they're holding menacingly in their hand.

How had I managed to go through all those years? Why had no-one told me? But of course it was probably for the same reason I didn't tell Blossom. I didn't want to hurt her feelings.



So now I make a point of always looking at the eyes, ok, sometimes the nose just for old times sake, but usually the eyes.

Labels: ,

<< back to the Blog front page