Little Nothings

Pieces of a discrepant diary

After the hoo-hah

Sometimes weeks go by when the only thing I have room for is the humdrum of day to day existence. Sometimes I've been lucky enough to have come home to love and friendship.

But then there are times when I need to spend moments with 'him indoors', me, single cell. Times like now. I've been reminded recently that when all the hoo-hah dies down and all the dinner guests leave, that we are all alone in our heads. It seems it's not just me, lots of other people have been hitting these quiet little moments.

All that time spent living a lot and giving a little doesn't seem to count for so much now, when it comes to cashing in on my other investment, me. It's at times like these that I need to tame the 'selfish' word, pin it to the wall and clearly define its limitations.

As someone here said recently (and very eloquently), the only kind of love that really endures is the love you build for yourself. Without this how can you ever recognise love for others?


Listening to: Jefferson Airplane, "Somebody to Love"
Feeling: wide awake again in the middle of the night

Labels:

<< back to the Blog front page