Little Nothings

Pieces of a discrepant diary

Blog Frippery

I've added some minor frippery to the sidebar here at Little Holes in the form of a dictionary widget. You can even use it to look up the word "widget" if you like.

You should find it listed under "Dictionary", just after "Links" down on the right hand side somewhere. It has a textbox, a drop down list of resources and a Go button. To use it:

- Just type your own text where it says, "lookup any word"
- Choose Dictionary, Thesaurus, Reference (an encyclopedia) or on the Web (a Google search of sorts)
- Then hit Go

The result should open in a new window, or perhaps a new tab depending on how your browser is configured. It uses the dictionary, thesaurus and reference resources at the Dictionary.com website.

I put it there mainly to let me quickly look up definitions and synonyms, but it's available to all. It has proved tortuous to get the code and styling right for 20Six but was much easier to drop into this Blogspot template. Hopefully though it's simple enough to avoid common browser rendering bugs and it's been tested on both Firefox and IE6. If you're on a Mac, I'd really appreciate any feedback about wonky styling or behaviour.

As usual, I'm yawning incessantly now (number 26 is quite scary) but stuggling to get to sleep. I might try the Horlicks this time.


Listening to: Mike Oldfield, "Tubular Bells"
Member of: The Wide Awake Club

Labels:

Anonymous Anonymous said:(27/11/06 05:20 

A backup weblog is an excellent idea. Those downtimes on 20six always make me nervous. The platform change on 20six left a most unexpected side effect. I had been in somewhat of a panic at the thought of losing "the girls", but between the changes. losing images from posts, and mysteriously not being able to log on to 20six while the rest of mankind could, I somehow don't care as much as I used to.
Still, as I said before, it's wise to back up one's work.

Blogger Bunnyman said:(27/11/06 05:44 

20Six makes me nervous too, for all kinds of reasons. Nonetheless, I'd sure be sorry to see you lose heart Simplelsie. I always look forward to your blog posts.
That's an interesting word, "shellacked". Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving then ...

<< back to the Blog front page