Little Nothings

Pieces of a discrepant diary

Neither the nut loaf nor the napkin

Well, I hope everyone made it through December.

I went through to Leaf's place last Saturday, dropping by the supermarkets on the way to buy the supplies for Monday's Christmas Dinner. Preparation and pre-cooking were all done on Sunday to avoid a mad rush in her small kitchen on Christmas day.

Leaf's large flat was a renovation when she bought it well over a year ago and she's been redecorating constantly since then. We had to serve dinner in a room where the walls and ceiling are stripped bare, waiting for the plasterer, so we spent most of Christmas morning trying to make the place presentable. She laid down some rugs for the floor while I mounted a selection of oil paintings, watercolours and printed artwork on the walls. We dragged in a huge wood and stained glass cupboard to occupy one particularly bare corner, then she found a set of lanterns that she'd bought in Brighton so I used adhesive strips to hook these to the wall. Although the room was quite dark, candles on the tables and in shelving recesses provided just enough light without revealing too many wall or ceiling cracks. In the end the whole thing had the look and feel of a rustic Italian farmhouse.

a picture of some dinner lanterns

During the morning we received reports of minor injuries, illnesses and travelling problems but a very manageable seventeen turned up for a dinner menu of festive fish pie and trimmings. This rebellion against the traditional Christmas fare seemed to go down quite well with her family and of course, the great advantage of fish is that the supermarket's are full of it at this time of year and it's very easy to cook. Rice, couscous and vegetable dishes alongside a couple of poached salmon six pounders helped everyone fill in the gaps and provided nibbles for the late arrivals. Everything was eaten and the emergency sausage rolls, chicken pieces, cheeses and nibbles weren't even needed. Most importantly, Leaf - not an easy person to please - seemed happy enough.

It would appear that my reputation as a chocoholic may have leaked out - click the parcel to see what three young persons heaved half way across the country and up three flights of stairs to present to me.

a picture of my super duper Christmas prezzie

Quite an honour really.

I'm not at my most upbeat right now but I do wish everyone well, and I sure wish I could hug and squeeze every blogger I know. You each have my very genuine thanks for helping me reach the end of the year intact - and that means all of you, even the quiet ones out there. Take care.


Listening to: Cocteau Twins, "Persephone"
Hoping: you're all alive and kicking.

Labels:

<< back to the Blog front page