Little Nothings

Pieces of a discrepant diary

BluBlog

I've started to keep a personal diary in the form of a private blog. This won't mean any changes to my blogging here, in fact I'm hoping it will help me with posting.

Keeping a personal diary is a step in a new direction and feels very strange. When I started this blog, I said that I really wasn't able to maintain private diaries or journals so this sudden impulse has come as a bit of a surprise. What may have set it off was that I was having problems blogging recently and felt that I just wasn't writing often enough. After all, writing is a skill and skills have to be exercised or they get rusty, right?

So since then, I've managed to write something most days, even if it's just been gibberish. The process actually feels quite refreshing - which is an unexpected surprise - because I don't feel any pressure to post it, to spend the time needed to tidy it up and re-write it and because of that, it flows more easily. Unfortunately so far it really has all been complete nonsense but I'm hoping the activity will help my writing improve in the medium term.

But, but, but ... this may only be a temporary impulse, I'll have to see how well it goes.


an extraneous picture of a fish

I've called it my BluBlog because it started out with a blue theme, although now it's all greens and yellows. That fish is called Barry by the way and no, I've no idea what he's doing here either. I might occasionally post something from the BluBlog here. I wouldn't hold out any hopes of riveting reading material though, in fact just to prove that it's outright poppycock, here's an excerpt from probably the most coherent entry.

In a house opposite me someone has painted their bedroom wall a two tone colour. The bottom half is a very deep sky blue and the top is cream. If you're a painter, imagine Cobalt Blue perhaps with a tinge of Cerulean cut with Titanium White, and a pale but well saturated Naples Yellow. For some reason the colours make me think of a place but now my memory is in a spate of uncertainty. I can't decide whether the place is St Ives in Cornwall or Lerapetra in Crete.

But anyway, the colours are lovely. I only just noticed because the Sun has to be out and at a certain angle, and I have to be passing a certain window, and looking in a certain direction, and, well, a whole combination of factors have to take place really; in fact this opportunity occurs so infrequently that these pretty squiggles were invented to describe it.

Oh, and I can't paint although I absolutely, madly, deeply love colour. Especially the kind of colour you get from pigment suspended in oil.


Listening to: Chris Isaak, "Forever Blue"
Nibbling: an oatcake

Labels:

<< back to the Blog front page